About the Program
The WOU Bookstore offers a Textbook Rental Program that provides students with a cost-effective and green way to get the textbook and course materials needed for their classes. By offering textbooks at rental prices that are significantly below the cost of retail (often more than 50% off), the program has saved WOU students over $1 million since 2010! All books that are rented eventually get returned and reused, keeping the whole program environmentally friendly. Try out the Textbook Rental Program next time it’s time to buy books!
What is available to rent?
There are two ways to know if a textbook is rentable: it will say it on the shelf tag in the store (see example) and it will be listed with a rental price on the website. Unfortunately, not all textbooks are available to rent. This is because we purchase the rentable textbooks through a third-party vendor, and only limited titles are available. That said, there are some titles that are always available to rent. See the Rentals Available list for further details.
Besides textbooks, the WOU Bookstore also rents out TI-84 graphing calculators, response clickers, smart tablets, and 4GB wifi smart pens.
How do I rent a book?
In the store: The shelf tag will say “Rental Available,” but the books will not be marked as rentals. Simply take the book to check-out, tell the cashier that you want to rent the book, and be ready to show your student I.D. It’s as easy as that!
Online: On your course materials list, the book will be listed with a used rental and new rental price (usually the same). Simply click on the “Add to Cart” button next to the rental you want and proceed with check-out.
Can I get a refund for what I rented?
Rentals follow the same refund schedule as regular textbooks, so yes. The first week of classes during fall, winter, or spring term, a 100% refund is available until the end of the day on Friday. The second week of classes, an 80% refund is offered until the end of the day on Friday. After that, no refund is available unless you have proof that you dropped the class by the drop-date on our calendar. Summer term refunds are limited due to the shortened nature of classes. See our calendar for refund timeframe.
When and where do I turn in rented items?
All rentals are due by the last day of the term they were rented, so the Friday of Finals Week. Please return them at the Buyback/Return Window of the WOU Bookstore, located by the North Entrance to the Werner University Center.
- Rental textbooks must be returned in a clean and resalable condition on or before the rental due date (last day of finals). Do not write or highlight on the pages of a new rental or add additional writing or highlighting to a used rental.
- Outstanding rental textbooks will be billed at the retail price if not returned by the rental due date (last day of finals).
- The rental fee may be applied toward a purchase of the same retail title within the first two weeks of term.
- Rental textbooks follow the same refund schedule as regular textbooks.
- Outstanding rental textbooks and rental textbooks returned damaged and/or unusable will be charged to your Federal Title IV Financial Aid and/or your WOU Account.